Just like any other nursing exams, you need to familiarize yourself with the type of questions HAAD Exam is throwing at you. Practicing these sample HAAD exam questions over and over gain increases your likelihood of passing it.
Are you taking the HAAD Exam soon? Check these HAAD exam questions / items posted in HAAD FB page:
120 HAAD exam questions
You have to do your part in finding the answers for some questions. 🙂
1- patient is on digoxin. What is the drug of choice?
2- post operation patient always asking for analgesic (over seeking). What is the most appropriate nursing intervention?
– inform the physician to put the patient on regular analgesic
– tell the patient that it’s a fake feeling
– Increase patients analgesic dose
3- patient with Digoxin with Hyperkalemia, what do you expect the ECG rythem
– peaked, Inverted T wave?? (check)
4- a woman with dysmennorhea, how can the RN know that she is pregnant without any investigations?
5- A patient with diabetic foot, during the discharge plan, how can the nurse know that the patient understands the correct way to take care of his feet?
– I’ll check my foot every day (inspect)
6- when foleys is inserted, hoe does it fixed?
– inflation of the balloon.
– rotate the cathter and fix it by tape.
7- patient with acute renal failure, after investigation (Blood and urine) what do you expect to have?
– creatinine is high.
8- how can you assess the severity of CVA (Cerebrovascular Accident)
– the affected area in the brain
– block of the artery
– Nerves affected
9- What the suitable position for CVA patient, during doing oral cavity care.
10- During NGT (Nasogastric Tube) insertion, the nurse noticed a resistance, what is the suitable Nursing intervention?
– remove the NGT.
– apply more power
– Rotate the tube
11- During NGT insertion the patient become cyanosed, Nsg intervention?
– remove the NG and monitor.
– Give O2.
12- During NG feeding, why it suppose to be slowly feeding (by gravity)?
– because the patient may develop Diarrhea
– because may develop abdominal destination.
13- what is the ideal way when you make suctioning to a patient on Mechanical Ventilator?
– Hyperventilation (by Ampobag) pre and post suctioning.
14- How the RN assess that the Chest tube s are working proberly?
– fluctuation (oxalating)
15- How to assess an emphysema with palpitation?
– When crackles sensation under the skin is felt (palpated)
16- the most common risk factors of developing a pneumonia?
– pts on Mechanical Ventilator.
17- Pneumonic Patient , has purulent mucous, how the nurse can assist the excretion of this mucous?
– by percussion.
18- patient is planned for discharge on diuretics, how the nurse can know the patient understood the care plan ?
– “ will measure and document the intake/ output”
– “ I’ll weigh my self daily”
19- Renal Failure patient for discharge, health education??
– avoid food with high K (potassium), Banana,etc
20- Patient with Hyperkalemia, which is the best way to decrease the K (potassium) level in the blood?
– insulin, lasix pumps
– kay oxalate
21- the Description of good granulation tissue formation?
– pink, soft and may bleed when being touched
22- patient on diuretic, what the RN must keep in mind to monitor.
– Potassium level.
– Blood Pressure.
23- Patient with GI (Gastrointestinal) (GI Bleeding), stool color?
– Dark (Upper GI Bleeding), (Bright Lower GI B.) + bed odor (Melena)
24- the purpose of let the patient with esophagus Varices having cold water ?
– cold water makes Vasoconstriction, prevent bleeding.
25- the Evidence that the patient may have Anorexia nervosa?
26- During Dealing with a Geriatric Patient , what the nurse should expect?
– difficulty swallowing
– Speaking slowly
27- .patient with CVA, how the nurse can assist to enhance the facial movement?
– encourage chewing and smiling.
28- patient with an amputated leg above the knee, complaing of pain in the his amputated knee, what is the appropriate Nsg intervention?
– tell the pt that this a fake feeling.
– “I understand what you feel, bla bla. The nurse have to realize the fantom Pain).
29- post op patient had a thyroidectomy, how can the nurse realize that the pt developed a parathyroid injury?
– muscle twitching.
30- the most dangerous arrhythmia?
– V-tach (Ventricular tachycardia.
– VF (Ventricular fibrillation)
31- a pediatric patient with VSD (Ventricular-Septal Defect), the nurse must know that this disease is?
– Cyanotic disease.
– may or may not need surgical repair.
32- during assessing the understanding of health education for a patient about elastic stocking, the patient states?
– “ I will wear them during the day, and take them of before sleeping”.
33- the most common risk factor after thigh open fracture injury is?
– Pulmonary empolism.(fat embolism)
– Severe pain.
34- ICP (IntraCranial pressure) normal value is?
– 10-20 cm h2o.
35- how is the appropriate nursing care for a diabetic (DM) patient’s nails?
– cut straight, then file.
36- Health Education for a diabetic patient, before having a bath the patient must mesure the water temperature by?
– put his elbow in the water.
– use a thermometer.
37- Physician order “give 10 IU mixtard (mixed) with 5 IU actrapid (clear) insulin …..) , the nurse should?
– withdraw actrapid then Mixtard.
– withdraw mix then actrapid.
38- During medication preparation, the nurse noticed unclear label, or unclear expiary date of a medication, what the appropriate nsg intervention?
– return to the pharmacy to be replaced.
39-When a nurse write an incident report about an error he/she does, it is an example of?
40- when the RN delegates a PN to do a procedure, in case of any mistakes who will be responsible?
41- Patient on Warfarin (Anti coagulation), how the nurse know that the pt understood his health education, all are correct expcept?
– I will shave by raser instead of shaving set.
– I check (inspect) my body daily of bruises.
– Continuously lab check especially INR level.
– its normal to have dark urine
42- usually pts on warfarin, they must regularly check..
– bleeding time
– INR or PT
– ESR (Estimated sedemintation rate).
43– usually pts on Heparin, the nurse must regularly check..
– bleeding time
– INRor PT
– ESR (Estimated sedemintation rate).
44- Bed ridden patients hoe have low weight (slim), with poor nutrition, immobilized, are at high risk to develop..
– Bed Sores
– DVT (Deep Vein Thrimbosis)
45- when changing the position for a patient with skin traction (with fractured leg), the appropriate nsg intervention?
– Hold the weight (the traction) before changing the position.
46- the protective infection precaution equipment when dealing with a meningitis case is?
– surgical face mask (droplet)
47- to have the best effectiveness when using a skin traction is?
– free hanging.
48- when the nurse deals with a psycho patient with severe depression, the nurse needs toilet, the appropriate nsg intervention is?
– tell the patient that he will come back in 5 minutes, and instruct him not to move until he come.
– make any other nurse to cover (replacement).
49- in an Acute Bacterial Meningitis, the CSF (CerebriSpinal Fluid) investigation will be:
– low glucose level.
– high glucose level
– high protein level.
– low protein level
50- in PACU (Post Anesthesia care Unit), the nurse priority during monitoring the pt is?
– Blood pressure (BP)
(in case you have an airways and o2 saturation in the choices not the BP that will be the correct answer)
51- the drug of choice for bradycardia
– epinephrine (Adrenaline)
52- for terminal stages pts who complaining of pain, asking (Morphine)
– give when they complain pain.
53- the best position during having a kidney biopsy is?
– Prone with sand bag support behind the Rt- Lt abdominal area.
54- the most complication may the patient have after the liver biopsy procedure is?
– severe Pain.
– Bleeding (Bile)
55- Nsg intervention for an amputated leg with a biological patch is?
– Elevation above pillow – to prevent contractures.
56- severe dehydrated baby, which of the following the nurse must expect as a sign:
– crying without tears.
57- Apgar score:
– 0-3 severe distress
– 4-6 Need observation
– 7-10 No problem
57- In Renal calculi case, urine analysis will appear:
– high WBC (white Blood Cells)
– High creatinine.
– high RBC (Red Blood cells)
58- when you are speaking (communicating) to a CVA patient:
– give the patient enough time to speak (because he/she speaking moving slowly)
– Encourage the patient to speak faster.
– act as you understand what he was speaking then ignore.
59- A patient with high ICP (Intracranial Pressure), What do you expect the patient to develop:
60- How to assess the pediatric tissue perfusion/ Breathing
– Capillary refill to be < 2 seconds.
61- a patient who recently lost his mother, after being informed he said “No she is coming today to visit me”, this patient considered in which stage of grieving process?
62- Before giving Digoxin, what Must the nurse do?
– Assess the BP
– Assess the RR
– Assess the HR
– assess the O2 saturation
63- signs of Bipolar:
64- Health Education for a patient who had total Knee replacement?
– not to cross the legs
65- First choice for feeding a patient with Dysphagia and stroke:
– NG tube.
66- Heavy smoker are at high risk to have:
– CAD (Coronary Artery Diseases)
– stroke (CVA)
67- which of the following considered as (Plasma Expander)?
68- why its contraindication to give high flow O2 to a COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) patients?
– because it may cause O2 toxicity.
– to maintain breathing stimulation which initiated by the CO2
69- Picc line , when be used for the first time, what you expect from the physician to do?
– withdraw to check if you have food blood flow before using.
– CXR (Chest X-Ray)
– good and firm dressing.
70- which of the following is correct regarding Chest drainage system Discontinue?
– slowly remove the tube – suture- dressing
– clamp- instruct of inhalation then hold on- remove – tie the wound- dressing
71- post Bronchoscopy patient, the nurse should observe before starting feeding:
– Gag reflex
– wait bowel movement
– NPO (Nothing Per Oss) for 6 hrs then feed.
72- to irrigate a colostomy stoma, the nurse should use:
– Tepid water
– normal Saline
– Ringer lactate
– Distilled water
73- Nursing diagnosis as priority for a patient with Renal calcholie:
– Fluid volume deficit
– risk for bleeding
– risk for oligurea
74- what should the nurse advice a Dm patient regarding insulin use?
– Small meal – Exercise- insulin
– insulin – sleep- exercise
– sleep- exercise – insulin
75- a patient with pancreatitis clinical investigation markers are all except:
– low serum Ca level
– high serum glucose level
76- B-Blocker acts as anti arrhythmic agent is?
77- signs of duodenal ulcer:
– continuous pain
– intermittent pain.
– pain relieved by meals
– pain increased by meals
78- one of the following is correct regarding Dehydration signs (pediatric)
– high HR
– low skin turgor
– crying with no tears
79- Adult patient admitted the ICU, at night he became agitated, what do you expect this patient have:
– Hospital (ICU) psychosis
– Stress or anxiety
80- post laparatomy patient, your advice when he wants to cough is:
– to support the abdomen by his hand before coughing
81- with pre-exlampsia , the nurse expect: (check the textbook)
– high Na (hypernatremia), low K (Hypokalemia)
82- Nsg diagnosis for a patient with Gestationl DM? (check the textbook)
– Low BP
– Placenta Previa
– Poly Hydro minus
83- Type of Anemia, why..? (check the textbook)
– Low folic acid
84- DM insepidus, with old patient , you expect : (check the textbook)
– high crealtinine – urine analysis
85- Most Priority Nsg action post “ Electroconvulsion Therapy” is?
– Put the pt on lateral position
– change position every 15 min
– ask how doe the pt feel.
86- When the RN prepare a dose of 75mg of pethidine, what must the nure do with the residual amount in the 100 mg pethidine ampule?
– Discard it
87- Nursing meaning for the pts principle of Autonomy?
– pt has the right to be informed about results and procedures.
– the nurse respects the patients principles of freedom, choices, self determination and privacy.
– pt has the right for high quality of nsg care and international standards.
88- Effectiveness of O2 therapy for a pt with COPD ?
– PH and O2 sat
– CBC, ABGs, O2 Sat.
89- with duretics administration, the nurse must be aware of:
– high BP
– weak pulse
– muscle twitching
90- first priority Nsg interventions purpose with Alzhaimer pts is:
– to cure the disease
– giving medicaton to minimize the Signs and symptoms of Alzhaimer.
91- first priority when dealing with unconscious traumatic pt received in the ER?
– jaw thrust maneuver.
– maintain airways and breathing and O2 therapy
– assess level of consciousness.
92- Rectal tube insertion procedure, all of the following steps are correct except:
– Lubricate the rectal tube.
– insert 4-6 inches
– assess for abdominal distention before and after insertion.
– leave the tube for 40 minutes.
93- if the pt complains of pain when inflation of the balloon during the foleys catheter insertion procedure, the proper nsg action is?
– Aspirate the fluid and remove.
– withdraw the fluid and insert more in then re inflate.
– put lower amount of fluid inside the balloon
94- Diagnosis markers of thalassemia? (check the textbook)
– HB, Electrolytes
95- Which of the following regarding the Nsg diagnosis?
– Medical Pathology
– Actual problem
– Lab result
100- Health Education how to make wound care, the nurse knows that the pt understands by:
– states the steps of sterile techniques while dealing with his wound.
101- to prevent lipo dystrophy with DM patient?
– Rotate injection sites.
– deep injection
– use 25 gauge syringe.
102- Meningitis therapy (Nursing Care) includes:
– ventilate the room
– Allow frequent visitore.
– use low lighting system. (light sensitivity)
103- the purpose of giving “Anti D” for a pregnant woman?
– to prevent the RBCs destruction for the next baby
104- a pregnant woman 2nd-3rd trimester, planned for C/S, the nsg priority is?
– Assess pain
– start IV fluids
105- Post normal vaginal Delivery, the pt developed vaginal bleeding, uterus is soft, what is the most appropriate Nsg intervention?
– Uterus message to make the uterus rigid and decrease bleeding.
106- The most suitable diet for a woman with pre- exlampsia is?
– high protein, low salt diet
107- the reason of gum bleeding for a pregnant woman?
– high estrogen level
108- 20 weeks pregnant woman, first fatal movement called?
109- when you let the patient suddenly down, the normal newborn’s reflex is called? (revise reflexes)
– Moro reflex
– Babiniski reflex
– rotating (sucking) reflex
110- to prevent uterus laceration during delivery…
111- Marker diagnostic investigation for Breast CA (Cancer) is?
– ERP test
– CD and T
112- the priority, pt with facial and chest burn is?
– maintain airways and breathing. (laryngeal edema)
113- Post ETT (Endotracheal Intubation), patient’s breathing with gargling, this gargling is evidence that the tube is located in:
114- the drug of choice for Supra ventricular tachycardia is …
– D/C shock
115- the In charge nurse prepared a medication and asked the RN to give it to patient in room 4, the appropriate RN intervention:
– refuse giving this medication ( who prepared will give, no deligation)
– give it, and sign instead of the in charge.
116- the first priority regarding medication administration ?
– chceck pts name
– check the expiry date
– check physician order
– check medication name
117- preparation for thoracentesis?
– give pre medication
– keep pt NPO for 8 hrs.
– keep the pt on upright position and mark the site.
118- the ideal way to remove the eye lenses?
– apply a pressure to the eyelids then instruct to clinch.
119- Documentation error (with 2 words) hoe the nurse fixes this error?
– use the corrector
– flat line over then sign
120- documentation- while the nurse document in a pts file, he discovered that he was writing in the wrong pt, what is the appropriate action should the nurse do?
– make oblique line in the whole page and sign.
Again, there are no answers for most of the HAAD exam questions above; do your part. For more updates on HAAD and other nursing exams, please stay on this blog and follow me on Facebook here.