President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the immediate release of compensation benefits for healthcare workers who have been afflicted with the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and for the family of those who have succumbed to the disease in the line of duty.
This was after the President learned that not one of the healthcare workers who had been severely ill or died because of COVID-19 received the benefits that were approved as compensation for their heroism and service under the Bayanihan to Heal As One Act.
In a press briefing shown online, Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque Jr. said that the President gave Department of Health and other concerned departments until June 9 to compensate the health workers.
“Hanggang Martes lang po ang binigay ng Presidente para sa lahat ng kinauukulan na ibigay ang mga compensation benefits sa mga health workers na nagkasakit ng COVID-19 in the line of duty at sa mga pamilyang naiwan ng mga namatay na health workers … Nagbigay ang Pangulo ng deadline na hanggang Martes sa susunod na linggo para maisagawa ito,” said Roque Jr.
Under the Bayanihan Act, healthcare workers who contract severe COVID-19 infection will get PhP100,000, while the families of those who have died of the disease will receive PhP1 million.