Gov’t reimposes total suspension on deployment of health workers abroad
The government is once again temporarily suspending the deployment of health workers due to continuing state of emergency in the country without any exemption.
In a radio interview on Tuesday morning, Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Secretary Silvestre Bello III said that the Inter-agency Task Force on COVID-19 has reached a decision to once again to temporarily ban the deployment of health workers.
“Hindi naman ban kundi temporary suspension dahil sa pangangailangan ng ating bansa ng mga nurses at medical workers. Kaya minabuti muna nga Inter-agency Task Force na wag muna mag deploy ng mga nurses and medical workers,” Bello said.
Previously, Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) has allowed those who have completed their papers before March 8, 2020 to go on and work abroad.
“But yesterday, based on the new resolution of Inter-agency Task Force, there will be no exemption for the meantime,” Bello said.
Even those who are only in the country for vacation and has a contract abroad will not be allowed to return, he added.
Bello reiterated that the IATF decision was made to ensure that the country has a sufficient number of workers if the need arises amid coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic.
“Sana ‘wag na muna magtampo ang ating mga nurses, ito naman ay temporary,” Bello said.
WATCH interview of Sec. Bello over DZRH News on Tuesday morning, August 18:
Presidential Spokesperson Atty. Harry Roque also announced the decision of IATF in his press briefing.
“Considering the continuing State of Public Health Emergency, the overseas deployment of the medical and allied health workers is temporarily suspended,” he said.